- 8 ounce box regular mushroom
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon red chile paste as usual I use siracha
- 1/2 cup canned bamboo shoots, sliced
- 1/4 pound cooked chicken cubed
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Pinch sugar
- 2 quarts Chicken Stock
- 1 square firm tofu, drained and sliced in 1/4-inch strips
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup water
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Chopped green onions and cilantro leaves, for garnish
Heat the oil in a wok or large pot over medium-high flame. Add the ginger.
Add in the mushrooms, chili paste, bamboo shoots, and chicken; cook and stir for 1 minute to infuse the flavor.
Pour it into the wok and toss everything together – it should smell really fragrant.
Pour in the Chicken Stock, bring the soup to a boil, and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the tofu and cook for 3 minutes.
Dissolve the cornstarch in the water and stir until smooth. Mix the cornstarch paste into the soup and continue to simmer until the soup thickens.
Remove the soup from the heat and stir in 1 direction to get a current going, then stop stirring. Slowly pour in the beaten eggs in a steady stream and watch it spin around and feather in the broth (egg will cook immediately.)
Yield: About 2 quarts
Now that is one beautiful bowl of delicious soup.
Starlight has been home sick.
Bad winter for the little ones in these woods.
Take care bloggers, be safe out there.